Thursday, July 31, 2008

Am I a grammar prude?

There are 2 songs that really, really bug me when I hear them. 
They particularly get to me because, if not for their very blatant english mistakes, I'd actually like them.  A lot. 

The first is Kid Rock's All Summer Long. The mistake in this song is not actually the grammar, but the poetry style:

"We were trying different things/we were smoking funny things/making love out by the lake/all summer long."

It's a really catchy chorus, but as it gets stuck in my head, I keep saying "You can't rhyme a word with itself." And this perpetuates the song getting stuck in my head, because I keep thinking about how wrong it is. 

The other song is "Don't phunk with my heart" by The Black Eyed Peas.  First of all, funk is not a verb. I don't care what anybody says about language being controlled by the ones who speak it, they are wrong if they think some celebrity rock band can legitimately change grammar by mimicking an incorrect way of speaking used by uneducated, low class individuals. And don't even get me started about the spelling. 

These things bug me, alright? Please people, don't assume your audience are a bunch of ignoramuses, because "if you build it, they will come."

No comments: